The Best Plumbing FAQs From Our Expert Insiders
Your plumbing is one of the most important systems in your home, but it’s also one of the most complicated. The team at Cities 1 Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning can help you fix piping or fixtures, but we also know that sometimes all you need is a simple question answered. So, our experts are answering your top plumbing FAQs here.
Find helpful plumbing advice below, and call our experts with more questions or to schedule service—651-274-6547.
Especially in Minnesota, having your pipes freeze can be a nightmare. Fortunately, it’s easy enough to prevent:
- Make sure your thermostat is always set to at least 60 degrees
- Insulate your pipes
- Turn off the water to outside faucets and disconnect hoses
- Keep cabinet doors open to enable warm air circulation
If your pipes are frozen solid, give our expert plumbers a call.
There is no one single reason why your toilet is running—the problem could be caused by several issues. Use this quick checklist to find the source:
- Adjust the chain length in your toilet tank to ensure the flapper sits correctly.
- Check the flapper to make sure it isn’t worn out or cracked. Replace the flapper if need be.
- Measure the water level in the toilet’s tank—too much water will constantly fill the overflow tube while too little won’t fill it enough. In both cases, it will cause your toilet to run.
- Jiggle the toilet handle. Sometimes, the problem is as simple as a sticky handle. If this is the case, just replace it.
Liquid drain cleaners are convenient, but they are terrible for your pipes. Instead, try mixing ½ cup of salt with ½ cup of baking soda and pouring the result down your clogged drain. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes (ideally, leave it be for a few hours) before flushing it out with boiling water.
Other natural alternatives to chemicals include drain snakes, plungers, and cleaning out sink traps. If none of these methods work, you may need to call Cities 1 for some extra plumbing help.
The answer depends on a few variables, including the type of pipe, how much water you use, and your home’s design. In general, try to watch for water pressure issues or frequent leaking—these are two warning signs of a deeper problem. If you do see them, count on Cities 1 for all your repiping needs.
For More Plumbing FAQs, Contact Our Pros Today
If your plumbing isn’t working like it should, Cities 1 can help you in a flash. Whether your fixtures are leaky or you have more plumbing repair questions that weren’t answered here, our team is eager to help.